The Faculty of Information and Communication Studies at the University of the Philippines Open University (UPOU-FICS) has an opening for a Research Assistant who will work with Dr. Diego Maranan, Associate Professor and Dean of the UPOU-FICS. This position is a contracted service, with the contract renewed annually or semi-annually. We offer:
- Flexible work hours
- A collegial atmosphere
- Opportunities to collaborations with specialists from different fields
- One-on-one and group mentoring
- Professional development opportunities
The monthly compensation for this position is P24,904.66. For details about salary, please contact FICS Administrative Officer, Jennifer Pareja, at [email protected].
Submission of applications
To apply for this position, please see the FICS website.
The deadline for application is 15 June 2022. Preferred start date for the position is 1 July 2022 (negotiable)
About the UPOU-FICS
The UPOU-FICS has undergraduate (BA in Multimedia Studies) and graduate (Diploma in Computer Science, Master of Information Systems, Master of Development Communication, Doctor of Communication) programs with about 1,100 students and 11 full-time and 21 affiliate and adjunct faculty members. All programs are taught entirely online or in a hybrid format. For more information on the UPOU-FICS and its programs, please see https://fics.upou.edu.ph. Questions about this job opening can be directed to Diego Maranan ([email protected]).
Requirements of the position
Please note that this is a full-time contractual position. The successful candidate cannot hold any full-time work engagements outside of UPOU.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant field in the creative arts, media, design, humanities, communication, computer science, or a related fields.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a remote team environment
- Ability to communicate effectively over writing with a range of university stakeholders, particularly students, faculty, and non-teaching staff
- Be able to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Physically based in Metro Manila, or can report for duty on a regular basis at the Bukas Lab at UPOU’s satellite office in Diliman, Quezon City
- Prior experience in--or an interest in and willing to learn more about--physical computing, hardware prototyping, wearable technology, the Internet of Things, or related fields and activities
- Providing technical and administrative support to research activities at the UPOU-FICS, and contributing to research report-writing
- Scanning research manuscripts, uploading them to the UPOU Institutional Repository, and adding metadata to them, in coordination with the UPOU Library and other FICS research assistants;
- Assisting the Chairs of the various FICS degree programs in administrative tasks related to program management;
- Performing secretarial duties and assisting with other activities related to the functioning of the FICS, its programs, and its facilities, including:
- Assisting in the implementation of activities planned under Academic Program Improvement projects which include among others the enhancement of courses and conduct of research
- Assisting in the planning, preparation and conduct of workshops.
- Attending to inquiries/telephone calls.
- Assisting during meetings and other FICS activities/event